Monday, July 30, 2012

Safe Cleaners

When I got pregnant it was really important to me to not inhale harsh chemicals, and now that Lindsey is around I am so peculiar with what cleaning products I use. She had apnea as a newborn so I am ocd about what I can control that she breathes in. I bought an air purifier and everything. Overprotective? Maybe but thats just how this momma rolls. I have researched what household products can be used as cleaners and baking soda and vinegar are the most effective and versatile.

Here a a few ways that I use them:

1. Equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
Oh em gee I use this for everything!! I use it as a toilet cleaner, an all purpose spray you name it. It disinfects and leaves a clean smell. The vinegar scent does not linger at all.

2. A spoonful of baking powder down the drain followed by warm vinegar.
This will clear any clogged drain. I do this weekly in the bathroom and kitchen drains to keep everything flowing nicely. It also kills any gross smells that might be lingering.

3. Equal parts water and vinegar in the coffee pot.
Pour and run as usual the run again. After the second cycle, rinse the coffee pot and pour regular water and run the maker twice to remove all traces of the vinegar.

4. Vinegar to disinfect the cutting board.

5. Bowl of vinegar in the microwave and "cooked" for about 5 minutes.
Remove the bowl and wipe off the sides with a warm rag. This will remove any and all gunkies stuck on the side and what do you know? Disinfects as well!

6. A cup of baking soda in the toilet bowl.
Let it sit for 30 minutes then rinse with vinegar and use a toilet bowl brush to scrub away.

7. Vinegar to clean paintbrushes. Just let them sit and rinse with warm water.

8. Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to make a paste and use it to clean around the stove burners.

9. Baking soda and water to clean your oven.

10. Vinegar to rinse your fruits and veggies followed by water.


I could go on and on but these are my primary 10 uses. It is so much safer to use these all natural products than all those harsh chemicals that cleaners have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment