Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Homemade Granola

I have just recently rediscovered my love for yogurt. I used to eat it daily but I got tired of it and took a little break. But now I have added it back to my breakfast menu and added a little oomph to it. My favorite way to eat it is greek yogurt, berries, granola and a drizzle of honey.

I was buying prepackaged granola in the store for a while until I got the idea to just make it at home. In the store its pretty over priced for the amount you get. When you make it at home, you can make much more for a fraction of the cost. 


A bowl full of happiness first thing in the morning :)

Homemade Granola
3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup coarsely chopped raw or toasted nuts or seeds

Preheat the oven to 300 and make sure a rack is in the middle. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and combine well. Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl and once mixed well combine with the dry ingredients. Make sure all the dry ingredients are coated then spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Take out and stir then place back in for another 5-10 min until the oats look nice and golden. Itll seem soft when you take it out but no worries, it hardens as it cools. Make sure to stir it every once and a while during the cool down.

Toasted almonds
Place almonds on a baking sheet at 350 and bake for about 10 minutes. You will be able to smell them. Take them out and let cool. Combine with granola and keep in an airtight container.

You can add anything your heart desires to this granola once it is cooled. Dried fruit, coconut, nuts, chocolate chips. Anything! I like to keep it simple and add what I want when I eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment