Friday, June 7, 2013

Lets get light

Heres a piece of exciting news: Our family will be moving to North Carolina this August! Woohoo! My brother was accepted into a music conservatory and I will be reentering the University world after attending community college for far too long. The choices were between New York, Indiana, Michigan and Detroit. After many prayers and waiting we decided North Carolina would be the best choice over all for everyone in the family. We are so excited to start this new chapter of our lives!


Isn't that gorgeous!! Ah I can hardly wait! 

Anyway back to what we all love: FOOD!

I love making one day out of the week completely meatless. Usually its monday because the weekends are generally splurge city. My step dad was traveling and my brother was housesitting so this meal was perfect for just me and my mom. Especially since they would have hated that I replaced the meat with a mushroom. But take heart you meat eaters! You will NOT miss the meat! The portobello mushroom gives the perfect amount of meatyness (I make up words as I go) without the fat and grease that accompanies a real burger. The pesto and roasted red pepper add perfect touches of smoky and fresh taste. Oh and the side? TO DIE FOR! I have never had savory roasted sweet potatoes but my oh my I may never go back! The sweet potatoes are fresh and slightly sweet that the rosemary and garlic roast together in perfect harmony. I beg you to try this dish! Your taste buds will be dancing a happy dance :)


Portobello Burgers with Pesto and Roasted Red Peppers
Serves 4
- 4 portobello caps with the brown scales inside cleaned out and the caps cleaned with a damp paper towel
- 2 roasted red peppers cut in half (I just use a jar from Trader Joes)
- Jar of premade basil pesto
- 4 whole wheat buns
- sea salt and pepper
- olive oil

Heat a grill pan to high. Give your mushroom caps a nice rub down with olive oil and sea salt. Once your grill is hot add the caps. Then DO NOT TOUCH! They will take about 4 minutes a side depending on the size. Trust me when I say they will let you know when they are ready. They will release when ready to flip so don't try and pull them off. You will be sad. Heat your buns anyway you like. I put them in the oven at 400 for a few minutes to get them lightly toasted. Now assemble! Bun, mushroom, red pepper, basil pesto on top bun. THATS ALL! Healthy can be fast I promise :)


Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary, Garlic and Parmesan Cheese

Serves 4
- 3 Large sweet potatoes peeled and diced about an inch thick
- 2 TBSP dried rosemary
- 2 TBSP dried garlic powder
- sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 400. Prep your potatoes and throw in a gallon freezer bag. This will make sure all the spices and oil are evenly distributed. Easiest way I swear! Add oil and spices and give a good shake. Spread evenly on a baking sheet. Now this is when I go in and add a little more of all the spices just to make sure all the potatoes are seasoned. Bake for 30-40 min. I like mine a bit crunchy so I leave them in for a little longer. You just want them to be fork tender. About the last 5 minutes or so give them a nice sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Scrumptious!

No comments:

Post a Comment