Thursday, November 8, 2012

Making Your Own Baby Food

I am very blessed to be able to stay home with Lindsey. It is something I never take for granted. Since I am home, I try and use my time wisely and really enjoy making her baby food. I take comfort in knowing exactly what she is eating. Now that she is eating more "adult" food, I would rather make it than buy it. Not to say the jars aren't healthy! They are and I still use them for travel and going out but when we are home she normally eats what I make. I also make her food just about as flavorful as ours is. I do watch the amount of heat but I know I don't like bland food so why would she? :)

Pumpkin & Carrot 
1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
1/2 cup carrot puree (2 jars of baby food carrot)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbls vanilla yogurt

Mix it all together. When I serve it to Lindsey, I find I need to add a little water to thin it out. I keep half in the fridge and freeze the other half.



Butternut Squash Applesauce
Recipe adapted from here
3lbs gala apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 lbs butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced
1/4 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon

Throw all ingredients in your slow cooker on high for 4-5 hours and low for 8. Once the ingredients are nice and soft, I used my hand mixer to puree. This also makes a large amount and I froze a good portion. 


When making veggies or fruit I just throw the amount desired in a pot of boiling water until tender and soft. Then I puree it in my baby bullet. A food processor or blender would work just as well. Add as much water that you boiled the veg/fruit in to the consistency your little one prefers. There are so many benefits to making your won baby food. It is money conscious, health conscious and you can control how much you make. I always make a large amount to cook all in one day and store in the freezer. That way I have enough to last me until the next big cooking day.

No comments:

Post a Comment